Well, I have officially been in UNBC’s B.Ed program for a month and I am feeling many different emotions! I am beyond excited to be continuing on in this next chapter and I am hopeful for my future as an educator. Although the program can be stressful and overwhelming at times, there is no place that I would rather be. Anyone know knows me or has talked to me since starting this program knows how excited that I am for the new curriculum in British Columbia. As you can see in my past posts, I have not always learned the best in the more conventional or traditional ways of teaching. So, the more that I get to know the new curriculum, the more excited I am to become a teacher. The new standards are finding inclusive ways to help students learn. Every student counts, and these new expectations exemplify that.

One of the biggest things that I have learned so far is how important the difference is between incorporating Indigenous histories and including Indigenous knowledges. I think that in our society, it is too often a belief that Indigenous knowledges and cultures are of the past, and therefore are not of current importance. For this reason, it is so important to include these different perspectives in our education systems to show how Indigenous ways of knowing and learning are just as important as western education models. By incorporating these knowledges, it also can engage Indigenous students and helps them feel confident in their own identity. These Indigenous models of teaching and learning focus on educating the whole child and using their strengths to help them see their own importance.

Another important aspect of the curriculum that I believe connects directly from the incorporation of Indigenous content is the new cross curricular approach to teaching subjects. Throughout the education program, many different teachers have brought in guest who emphasize how beneficial cross curricular learning is. One of these guests explained that when subjects are combined or connected it can lead to a deeper understanding of the content. As the guest speaker explained, learning that is done within meaningful contexts is long lasting.

An example that I thought was phenomenal was when history or social studies was connected to outdoor education where children were learning the local histories of the surrounding Indigenous communities. When learning is personal, like discovering information about one’s own community, the education becomes relevant and meaningful. Not only would this connect subjects, but also incorporates various learning techniques and can be more inclusive to different kinds of learners. These various ways to engage in a deeper education are new to me but are so important to the kind of teacher I aspire to be.

In this first month, I have learned so many things. One thing that I did not expect to learn was how much of education is about relationships. Growing up, I thought that there would be nothing cooler than being the teacher that stood at the front of the classroom and just lectured while holding the attention of the children. For me, I thought that being in control of my class and having the attention of my students would make for a healthy learning environment. Within these first few weeks, I have completely changed my point of view. There are more important things than lecturing while students listen quietly. I know that building connections with my students means that I have the opportunity to provide them with meaningful, relevant knowledge. I can also create relationships that go beyond the traditional teacher and student dynamic by getting to know my students. For me this means that because my students might learn in different ways my teaching approach could be constantly changing. Also, respect comes in various forms, not just from standing at the front of the classroom. One of the things I needed when I was in school was to have someone who I trusted and provided me with a safe environment where I could be myself.

After reflecting on this first few weeks I realize that there are many different ways to teach and one of the most important things is to be myself. One unexpected thing that I learned was how every amazing teacher is amazing for different reasons and that’s because they are themselves. If I want to create authentic and meaningful learning experiences for my students, I have to be open and honest with them. Sharing interests and parts of who I am is a way for me to allow my students to connect with me. Although this might put me in a vulnerable position, I need to be there for my students in order to create lasting relationships where they feel comfortable trusting me. Teaching is more than a profession, and I am humbled to become a part of it.