During our class on pedagogy and curriculum this week we learned about learning progressions. These learning progressions refer to ā€œto the purposeful sequencing of teaching and learning expectations across multiple developmental stages, ages, or grade levelsā€ (ā€œLearning Progressionsā€, 2013, par. 1). The goal of this approach is to enhance student learning by providing ā€˜building blockā€™ progressions consisting of sub-skills and bodies of knowledge (Popham, 2007). A lot of the time, each step of the progressions is associated with a grade level competency; therefore, intellectual, emotional, social and physical development skills that are taught or expected at certain ages (ā€œLearning Progressionā€, 2013). Every subject has unique learning progressions or steps that will be taught. For example, our professor explained that with math, to be able to understand fractions, there are many different skills or ā€˜building blocksā€™ that need to be learned before this will be possible. This sequence of learning is crucial because you cannot fully comprehend what could be ā€˜step threeā€™ without step one or two.

For me, this concept of learning progressions is a combination of building blocks and puzzle pieces. These skills will build on each other like blocks might stack on top of each other; however, these levels of learning need to happen in a particular order and fit together so that the learning can make sense for the student. As explained above, in this approach the ā€˜developmentā€™ can be referred to as different levels or skills. These progressions and the speed the students learn them depends a lot on different education systems. For example, in the United States, algebra is usually learned in high school math courses, but ā€œin some European and Asian countries students learn algebra during their middle-school yearsā€ (ā€œLearning Progressionā€, 2013, par. 3). This difference in learning expectations shows how these learning progressions can be both accelerated and broken down into smaller steps depending on the studentā€™s needs.

When learning is broken down into smaller, manageable steps it is referred to as scaffolding (Kurt, 2020). Most of the time in breaking down these building blocks or progressions it makes the content more digestible for students which in turn, increases the studentā€™s confidence and enhances their performance. In this article, I was also impressed to see the correlation between student engagement with one another and problem solving skills. When students have the opportunity to discuss and collaborate with their peers it creates critical thinking skills. I personally resonate with this point a lot as I am the type of learner who loves to hear other peoplesā€™ perspectives to enhance my own. Learning is collaborative and this is an important part of education for me.

A very important point was made by Serhat Kurt (2020) who stated that for this type of learning approach, the relationship between the teacher and student is crucial. This is a very important aspect of my future classroom. I believe that you cannot do your best job as a teacher without a positive relationship with your students. In connection to these learning progressions, even though a lot of these different levels have designated grades they are usually taught at, this wonā€™t always be a reality in the classroom. What I mean by this is that some students might be either be ahead or behind of their grade expectations. For me as an educator, I need to have a good enough relationship with my students for them to feel safe to express their comfort and ability levels with content so I can adjust my lessons accordingly.

In reflection of this new information, I would like to say how much I love how the learning has the potential to increase in complexity, imagination and skill level at the confidence of the child. Every student is different, and this approach accounts for how they will learn at different paces. Planning for teachers will also be complex because this approach interconnects life skills, curriculum and core competencies (Kim and Care, 2018). Another important point made during class was how creativity and imagination grow best when these are part of the building blocks from the beginning of learning. These skills are so crucial to our learning and work best when they are a part of our educational foundation.

I am excited to learn more about these educational approaches and how I can use them in my future classroom to help my students excel. The more knowledge and perspectives we know, the better!

Kim, H. & Care, E. (2018, March 27). Learning Progressions: Pathways for the 21st Century Teaching and Learning. Brookings. https://www.brookings.edu/blog/education-plus-development/2018/03/27/learning-progressions-pathways-for-21st-century-teaching-and-learning/amp/.

Kurt, S. (2020, Aug. 18). Vygotskyā€™s Zone of Proximal Development and Scaffolding. Educational Technology. https://educationaltechnology.net/vygotskys-zone-of-proximal-development-and-scaffolding/.

Learning Progression. (2013, Aug. 29). The Glossary of Education Reform: For Journalists, Parents and Community Members. Retrieved Nov. 1, 2020 from https://www.edglossary.org/learning-progression/.

Popham, W.J. (2007, April). All About Accountability / The Lowdown on Learning Progressions. Educational Leadership. http://www.ascd.org/publications/educational-leadership/apr07/vol64/num07/The-Lowdown-on-Learning-Progressions.aspx.